Due the challenges created by COVID-19 pandemic, manufacturers throughout the world have been trying to determine how to safely open and operate their manufacturing plants. To minimize the risk of infection, many manufacturers have reduced the number of people allowed into their plants without compromising the production continuity. This makes delivery of INPLTs challenging in the traditional in-person fashion. To address this challenge and continue providing INPLTs during this difficult time, Better Plants program piloted Virtual cohort In-Plant Trainings (VINPLTs) on process heating systems, ammonia industrial refrigeration systems and wastewater treatment operations. The VINPLT pilots have been very well received and participants have requested for additional trainings on more topics.
The Better Plants program will deliver virtual INPLTs for Manufacturing Waste Reduction (Waste Reduction VINPLTs) from Apr 25 to Jun 13, 2023. The Waste Reduction VINPLTs will be performed online by waste reduction experts. The Waste Reduction VINPLTs comprise eight (8) 2.5-hour online training sessions that will be delivered every Tuesday 10:00 AM–12:30 PM ET for eight (8) consecutive weeks. Participating in the VINPLTs is free and open to all US manufacturers.
To maximize the benefits from attending VINPLTs, homework assignments will be given to participants at the end of each session and be due the following week. Each session has 30 minutes at the beginning to address questions related to training materials and homework assignments. These homework assignments are designed to enhance participants’ understanding on the energy systems, identify and quantify energy savings opportunities. At the end of the training events, each participating facility is expected to create some slides to summarize identified energy savings opportunities with estimated savings and present to company management teams. The subject matter experts and TAMs will help partner personnel develop these opportunities and associated project justification content, e.g. technical analyses, and payback calculations.
If operational data collection is needed, diagnostic equipment can be arranged and shipped to partners. The Better Plants diagnostic equipment is available on a first come, first serve basis.
Week 1 – Introduction: Waste Diversion and Reduction 101 (Apr 25, 2023)
- SSC will provide an introduction of our organization and experience in assisting manufacturers to effectively manage and reduce their waste streams (less than 10 minutes)
- Overview of common acronyms and terms
- Overview of waste diversion hierarchy
- Review hierarchy developed by Better Plant
- Overview of waste streams generated by industry, by building type, etc.
- Overview of waste legislation and regulation
Week 2 – How to Effectively Track and Measure Your Waste (May 2, 2023)
- Overview of tools and methods manufacturers can employ to measure and track their waste streams
- Overview of typical charge categories for waste, how to correlate procurement and waste information, overview of typical waste invoices, etc.
- Best practices for conducting on-site waste characterization
- How to quantify findings from a waste characterization
- Recommended material handling procedures, signage, waste containers and receptacles, and layout in the plant
Week 3 – Source Reduction and Waste Minimization Techniques (May 9, 2023)
- Solutions for managing and reducing waste streams by industry and building type
- Overview of the varying benefits of the proposed solutions/strategies
Week 4 – Finding Outlets for Hard to Manage Waste Streams (May 16, 2023)
- Overview of hard to manage waste streams including but not limited to shrink wrap, sludge, hazardous waste, etc.
- Recommendations for identifying outlets for the hard to manage waste streams
Week 5 – Construction Waste Management and Green Building Certifications (May 23, 2023)
- Overview of best practices for handing construction and demolition waste
- How to develop construction and demolition waste management plans
- How sustainable construction waste management can contribute to green building standards such as Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED)
Week 6 – Scope 3 Emission Considerations – Responsible Sourcing, Procurement, and Waste Generated in Operations (May 30, 2023)
- How to integrate responsible sourcing and procurement language into specification or supplier terms and conditions
- Scope 3 emission calculation methods
Week 7 – Implementation of a Waste Diversion Program – Developing a Roadmap to Zero Waste (Jun 6, 2023)
- How to prioritize waste reduction opportunities
Week 8 – Conclusions, Summaries, and Wrap Up Presentations (Jun 13, 2023)
- Summarize key points from previous sessions
- Participants present their findings